Drum roll please...
After (almost) ten months as a two-child family, we've finally streamlined our bedtime routine! I know it doesn't sound like a huge deal, but I'm super excited about it. No more man-to-man defense at night, Mr. Howell and I get to actually hang out together when we're putting the kids to bed. Although Joe may miss the extremely liberal television and iPad policy I employed while putting Will to bed on nights when dad teaches class...
The key? We tossed the baby tub. The boys are now bathing together.
Will is super excited about it! After some initial trepidation about being in the big tub (and the accompanying echos it produces in response to his brother's voice), my baby is loving bath time with big brother.
I'm not saying we are be able to avoid nights like this one; just that we have a new overall framework. So now after the chaos that is family dinner time, the routine goes something like this:
Joe strips off his clothes and runs around the house. Will is stripped down and a chorus of "naked boys, naked boys" follows. We then discuss whether he'll put his clothes in his own hamper or my hamper. I have no idea why this matters.
After insisting on climbing into the tub himself (and subsequently slipping and sustaining the inevitable injury), Joe is comfortably situated in the tub alongside his baby brother. We discuss the importance of safety and caution in the bath with his brother.
This is immediately forgotten.
Around 10 to 15 minutes of wet madness follows. They splash, squeal, and kick. They pull out every bath toy we own. Will spends approximately 40% of his time trying to grab Joe's penis. They drench the bath room.
After bath it's pajamas and group story time. It's adorbs. Listening to Mr. Howell reading a book with my boys (complete with character voices and sound effects) is just about the sweetest thing ever. (Until Will pulls Joe's hair or Joe complains that Will is taking up too much room in the chair and Mr. Howell declares it is time for BED!)
Then it's time for Will to go to sleep so Joe gets to pick a quiet activity. The idea is to calm him down before bed, but I'll admit this is a partial ploy by me to encourage Joe's interest in some activities that mama likes.
So far no painting or mother-son jewelry making. It's been Candyland. Lots and lots of Candyland. It has it's benefits though. We're getting a lot of practice with taking turns, counting, and reacting appropriately when someone else wins. My only complaint is that the version of Candyland we have is different than the one I grew up playing. Who is Lord Licorice? Just seems wrong.
Anyway, that is what's new with me and mine. The party never ends...
olive juice, okay?
emily






I have always hated playing board games and so far have never played once with the kids. I think it's time for me to get over myself though and learn to play Candyland - ESPECIALLY if we can teach a certain someone not to lose his shit when someone else wins something!
ReplyDeleteI agree! It's not my favorite… but he LOVES it. And we too are working on board game "sportsmanship" … it's a process! ;0)
Delete