Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Goodnight Gorilla


Happy Veterans Day my darlings!

I hope your day was as productive as mine. And just for your reference, I measure productivity by how much time you've spent on Netflix on a given day. Like I said, super productive today.

Which leads me to .... now.

I've spent the last 20 minutes listening to my beloved sons reading the same book on repeat. They have very different styles.

My eldest son reads the book just like his father. Exactly. Same pacing and effects. Without fail. In case you want to read along (each bullet is a new page):
  • Goodnight Gorilla. (loud whisper) Oh no! He's stealing the keys!
  • (medium whisper) uh oh! (a little louder) Look! His name is Joe!
  • Goodnight Elephant.
  • Goodnight Lion.
  • Goodnight Hyena. Goodnight Giraffe. 
  • Goodnight Armadillo.
  • (walking sound effect) dum, dum, dum, dum, dum
  • (walking effect continues in lower key) dum, dum, dum, dum, dum
  • (exaggerated yawning sound)
  • Goodnight dear.
  • (in various voices) Goodnight; goodnight; goodnight; goodnight; goodnight.
  • (cartoonish/ incredulous eye popping open noise) 
  • Ding!
  • (walking sound effect) dum, dum, dum, dum, dum
  • Goodnight zoo.
  • Goodnight dear. Goodnight. (whisper) uh oh!!!!
  • Goodnight Gorilla. (exaggerated snoring sound).
My youngest son takes a very different approach.
  • (turning to page with Lion) Goodnight Lion!
  • (turning to page where they are all in the same room) Goodnight; goodnight; goodnight; goodnight; goodnight!
  • Squeals with delight and slams the book shut.
  • Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
It's enough to make anyone ready for bed before eight o' clock. Everyone, that is, except my children.

Goodnight gorilla ... I mean, goodnight my darlings.

olive juice, okay?
emily



No comments:

Post a Comment