Aaaaannnnnnnddddd one month later. She gets around to posting about her youngest son's second birthday party.
I am a pinterest party planning monster. I start months in advance collecting ideas and developing a theme on my birthday board. I obsessively comb etsy for the perfect cupcake wrappers, spend a fortune at my local party store for color coordinated balloons, and log an embarrassing amount of hours hand-making party decorations.
I am a pinterest party planning monster. I start months in advance collecting ideas and developing a theme on my birthday board. I obsessively comb etsy for the perfect cupcake wrappers, spend a fortune at my local party store for color coordinated balloons, and log an embarrassing amount of hours hand-making party decorations.
So I decided to go another way this year. A joint-birthday party with a classmate at a park with a splashpad. Only the essentials (as articulated by Joe) ... friends, cake, and piñata. (There was some spirited discussion about the need for presents. Specifying no gifts was a horrific injustice in the mind of my 4 1/2 year old son.)
The result?
![]() |
| curly headed birthday boy |
![]() |
| bubble wand stolen from another birthday party (happening at the same time) |
![]() |
| willie is skeptical ... unless you have cupcakes |
![]() |
| this man loves to slide |
![]() |
| a shot of will and daddy |
![]() |
| this picture is my favorite |
![]() |
| post piñata |
![]() |
| obligatory shot of big brother |
So there you have it. An ultra low-key summer birthday with minimal bells and whistles. I probably spent 5% of the time on this party that I've spent on every other one I've thrown for the boys. And you know how much they noticed?
0%
olive juice, okay?
emily








Love the 'obligatory shot of big brother' - Lol! It's so true!
ReplyDeleteAnd yeah, I found out much later than you that I could've been doing SO much less! At least now we know!
YES! It's amazing how happy they are with the bare minimum. Cake = party. Done!
Deleteit was fun and it is important for us to make life eassssy!
ReplyDeleteThis is how I feel about pinterest Valentine's day treats. After 3 years of killing myself and them not liking them, it's back to store bought!
ReplyDelete