Thursday, July 17, 2014

errant thoughts

Feeling thoughtful, but unfocused today. It's very, very gray out. Time for some errant thoughts...

I love, I love, I hate, I hate,
I like, I wish, for goodness sake,
I hope, I hope, I pray, I pray,
I will, I won't, and for today...

I love living in Texas. And Austin specifically. There's a certain brashness to the state that's both off-putting and endearing. And Austin is both smug and unassuming. They're not perfect, but they are mine. Austin, Texas is home y'all.

I love lunches. Whether it's a day date with Mr. Howell or just grabbing food with friends and coworkers, lunch is the best. The boys are happily at school, prices are lower, and the weather is sun-shiney. (Plus I get to e-a-t!) 

I hate running. There. I said it. I really, really do hate it. But I'm gonna keep at it. Because I like the way I feel after I run. And I like the way I'm starting to look (and I emphasize starting) in my workout clothes.

I hate synthetic hair. As the mother of two boys, this is something that's new for me, but Joe recently acquired several My Little Ponies leaving me to deal with their respective manes. I'm starting to sympathize with you mamas patiently brushing the hair of your daughter's deranged looking Barbie dolls. Maybe I should try this pin

I like silly text message chains. I thrive in those kind of off-the-cuff, nonsensical interactions and I am so lucky I have friends that will play ball. So hit me up!

I wish there was a do-over button for some things in life. All "everything in life happens for a reason" logic aside, I wish there was a way to really and truly right past wrongs. Especially if I was the one in the wrong.

For goodness sake sing and dance. Or whatever other silly thing your children (or pets) like to do. I promise they don't think you are foolish (yet). They think you are awesome. And so do I.

I hope this cool(ish) summer weather holds! All-in-all the summer hasn't been unbearable.

I hope my boys become buddies. It seems like kind of a crap shoot to me ... whether siblings just love each other or love and genuinely like each other. They are both amazing boys and hopefully sharing the same crazy mother will be enough to bond them in friendship for life.

I pray that my particular brand of mother craziness that (hopefully) bonds my boys will be more of the "isn't she sweet let's pat mama on the head" variety, instead of the "oh god I can't handle mother for the holidays again, it's your turn" variety.

I pray for any mama (or any person) out there who is having a difficult time. Blogging about my experiences has opened the doors for some true-life mommy confessions to come my way. We're all experiencing ups and downs ... and if you are currently down, take heart, you'll be up again soon. I promise.

I will party like it's 1999 (when I could actually stay up past 10:00) tonight. Get ready East Side Mamas ... tonight we rage! (Or drink wine inside and talk over each other about our children...)

I won't worry over the money I don't have or complain about the trips I've yet to take or generally fret about the life I could be or should be living. I am living a beautiful, beautiful life. And I'm glad. Pollyanna glad.

And for today I will say to hell with this overcast gloominess outside and make my own sunshine. I will beat my husband home and put away all the laundry he meticulously washed and folded while I was asleep. I will answer my preschooler's endless questions about song lyrics with patience and joy. I will leave the dishes in the sink and puppet-walk my toddling baby around the house as long as he wants. And I will kiss each of their heads (on my way out the door to meet the ladies) ...

Have a lovely day!

olive juice, okay?
emily

me and my guy


No comments:

Post a Comment