Here they are for your listening pleasure. Judgment is welcome.
In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry.
I have no idea why I love this one so much. I'm almost positive it's included as background music on my high school dance team video. Perhaps that's it. Maybe it's the melody. Or maybe it's just stellar lyrics like "when the weather's fine, you got women, you got women on your mind. Have a drink. Have a drive. Go out and see what you can find."
It's Raining Men by the Weather Girls
What girl (or gay man for that matter) doesn't love this song? It's campy. It's fun. It's a-maz-ing. I used to daydream about choreographing a dance routine to this song, but I fear my middle-aged butt would look too silly in a leotard. Perhaps if I ever get around to it, I could have one of my boys perform the routine?
Lovefool by the Cardigans
Oh high school Emily. Wearing a plaid mini skirt and knee-high stockings … Alicia Sliverstone in Clueless style. You loved this song … and Romeo + Juliet … and Claire Danes … and Leonardo DiCaprio.
How Do You Talk to an Angel by the Heights
Do you remember this one? Of course you do … you totally dedicated it to your boyfriend on the radio. He was probably as sexy as Jamie Walters … and would never treat you like Ray treated Donna.
Informer by Snow
A licky boom-boom down. Need I say more?
Silent Lucidity by Queensryche
I must admit that this one came from Mr. Howell. Not like it's his favorite song or anything, but he can sing a mean Monster Ballad. And perform a kick ass air-guitar solo. And let's face it … anyone with kids can appreciate the very first line of the song (as long as it's delivered in a low, serious voice).
Black Betty by Ram Jam
This song has always been awesome, but it took on a new meaning when I started working for the Texas Legislative Council back in 2009. At the time, there was a state representative with a very similar name so anytime I'd get a request from her office I'd sing this song to myself. And then congratulate myself on being so hilarious. (Session makes you delirious…)
Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin
Does this song make you think of suntan lotion, pina coladas, and Tom Cruise? Because it makes me think of Cocktail. Every. Single. Time. This and Kokomo … but the Beach Boys are not one-hit wonders.
Take on Me by A-ha
Super cool special effects in the music video plus an incredible high note? Winning.
To Be with You by Mr. Big
Is Mr. Big considered a one-hit wonder? I guess it doesn't matter. Thank you Mr. Big for making an adolescent girl from Wichita Falls believe that every rocker has a soft side. (Just an aside that when singing this song, Mr. Howell announces the key change before actually singing the key change.)
So there you are. Yet another glimpse into the inner workings of my mind. I mentioned that judgment was welcome, but I can't see how anyone could have anything negative to say about any of my choices.
I have perfect taste in music.
olive juice, okay?
emily
p.s. And speaking of one-hit wonders, this movie is awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment