Day two of my couch-to-5k experiment. It still sucks.
It is giving me a chance to really explore my neighborhood on foot though. The east side in Austin is such a crazy mix of old and new. There are dilapidated old shanty houses right next door to giant brand-spanking new two story homes. There are new restaurants and bars popping up right down the street from some older buildings with real character! (Like this and this.)
There are things that make me sad (like the bum sleeping down by the town lake trail clutching his laptop) and things that make me smile (like the two middle school girls walking to campus this morning eating cupcakes with blue icing ... and giggling with each other the way young girls do before boys begin to complicate their friendships). The neighborhood is quiet and still and I'm able to observe and think in peace. It's almost enough to make me forget how much I hate running. Almost.
My arms hurt. My legs hurt. My butt hurts. I guess I'm doing something right. Am I skinny yet?
Anyway, I'll leave you with a selection of songs running through my head right now (pardon the pun) and a snippet from this morning's conversation with gay best friend.
olive juice, okay?
emily
This morning:
me: Do you want to be my friend on MyFitnessPal?
coworker: I was on that but all my friends kept posting about
running 5 miles.
gay best friend: I'm thinking about getting a wheelchair.
Running songs:
- The Distance by Cake
- Run On by Moby
- Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
- Ready to Run by the Dixie Chicks
- I Start to Run by White Denim

No comments:
Post a Comment