| cooling off in last summer's heat (photo by Jennifer Potter-Miller) |
I'm not quite that ambitious. Perhaps it's because my children are both still in full time daycare all summer so I don't have to find a way to fill the hours every day. (Kudos to all my stay-at-home mama friends keeping the kiddos busy in this heat!) But it did get me thinking about some of the things I'd like to do this summer.
Livemom made a bucket list for 2014 back in January of things she has yet to do in Austin after living here many years. That post and the new summer checklist (along with several drinks with the girls) got me thinking about what I'd put on my summer bucket list. Here's what I've come up with so far:
Camp at McKinney Falls State Park:
I'm not outdoorsy. I wish I was outdoorsy. And I've been toying with the idea of family camping for going on a year now. We've yet to do it.
After some consultation with my team of experts (mamas with wine), I've decided that this is the best place to start. Small. Borrow a tent and pack simple (mostly prepared) food. Close to home. So we can bail if it's a disaster. All the better if it's not. Either way it should make for good blog material.
After some consultation with my team of experts (mamas with wine), I've decided that this is the best place to start. Small. Borrow a tent and pack simple (mostly prepared) food. Close to home. So we can bail if it's a disaster. All the better if it's not. Either way it should make for good blog material.
Suggestions and borrowable camping equipment welcome.
Major League Baseball Game with the Boys:
What is it with boys and baseball? Is it in their DNA? Joe can't sit and draw for fifteen minutes, but he can watch an entire inning of baseball on television with Mr. Howell. What's the deal? (I will say... it was pretty cute seeing Mr. Howell's excitement when he met Cal Ripkin Jr. at the Atlanta airport a couple weeks ago.)
Whatever. If baseball is what they dig, I'm on board!
The boys and I have an ambitious plan to visiting major league ball parks on future vacations, but this summer we'll have to start local(ish). Probably either Arlington or Houston. (Although we have toyed with the idea of bringing the boys with us to Boston.)
I'm sure it will be hot as hell. And we are assured that one or both of the boys will have some kind of crying breakdown. But at least there's beer and nachos, right?
BBQ Breakfast and Horses:
There are so many great options for BBQ around the Austin area. We've hit up most of them, but I have yet to make the trek to Snow's BBQ.
The problem here is that they open at 8:00 in the morning and sell out quickly, so if you are going to Snow's, you are eating BBQ for breakfast. This somehow sounds both delicious and disgusting. I'm definitely doing it!
There's also an opportunity to ride horses (or at least gawk at them) at a friend's house in Elgin on the way back from BBQ breakfast. So it's a win-win. And even if we don't have the energy to mount up after dropping a pound of meat into our guts before noon, Joe is just as happy to chase said friend's dog around the property. (Fetch isn't just for dogs… it also works for preschoolers.)
Who's hungry?
Explore a New Swimming Hole:
Joe is determined to completely ditch his floatie this year. I have my doubts. But if it happens, it would open up a world of new swimming options.
My top two choices are Balmorhea Springs (far option) or Hamilton Pool (closer option). I've never been to either because they both seem like taking children would be a pain in the ass.
I'm determined to suck it up. And if I can't ... there's always Barton Springs. Neither boy has been there yet!
Canoe Ladybird Lake with the Family:
We live a few blocks away from Ladybird lake on the eastside. How have we not done this yet? (Probably because this, like everything else on my list, sounds like a lot of work.)
I pass this place on my morning run. It's super close. We need to check it out. They even offer boat "bat tours" if you have children that can stay up past 7:00. It's also connected to a little cafe, so we can at least have a drink while we work up the nerve.
Whatever. If baseball is what they dig, I'm on board!
The boys and I have an ambitious plan to visiting major league ball parks on future vacations, but this summer we'll have to start local(ish). Probably either Arlington or Houston. (Although we have toyed with the idea of bringing the boys with us to Boston.)
I'm sure it will be hot as hell. And we are assured that one or both of the boys will have some kind of crying breakdown. But at least there's beer and nachos, right?
BBQ Breakfast and Horses:
There are so many great options for BBQ around the Austin area. We've hit up most of them, but I have yet to make the trek to Snow's BBQ.
The problem here is that they open at 8:00 in the morning and sell out quickly, so if you are going to Snow's, you are eating BBQ for breakfast. This somehow sounds both delicious and disgusting. I'm definitely doing it!
There's also an opportunity to ride horses (or at least gawk at them) at a friend's house in Elgin on the way back from BBQ breakfast. So it's a win-win. And even if we don't have the energy to mount up after dropping a pound of meat into our guts before noon, Joe is just as happy to chase said friend's dog around the property. (Fetch isn't just for dogs… it also works for preschoolers.)
Who's hungry?
Explore a New Swimming Hole:
Joe is determined to completely ditch his floatie this year. I have my doubts. But if it happens, it would open up a world of new swimming options.
My top two choices are Balmorhea Springs (far option) or Hamilton Pool (closer option). I've never been to either because they both seem like taking children would be a pain in the ass.
I'm determined to suck it up. And if I can't ... there's always Barton Springs. Neither boy has been there yet!
Canoe Ladybird Lake with the Family:
We live a few blocks away from Ladybird lake on the eastside. How have we not done this yet? (Probably because this, like everything else on my list, sounds like a lot of work.)
I pass this place on my morning run. It's super close. We need to check it out. They even offer boat "bat tours" if you have children that can stay up past 7:00. It's also connected to a little cafe, so we can at least have a drink while we work up the nerve.
Even if we don't do this, gay best friend has offered to take the boys out on Lake Austin in his boat. He may seriously regret this...
What about you? What's on your list this summer?
olive juice, okay?
emily
No comments:
Post a Comment